Saturday, August 27, 2011

A Player's Perspective

So for the first time in about 5 years I got to view a game from the perspective of a player. My friend was DMing and I got to play my homebrew class and had a lot of fun. We started with a fairly standard premise, the town is in danger and heroes have gone off into the local dungeon, go investigate what has happened.

This temple or dungeon was made from dwarves, and was very impressively big. My character can not speak, but delights in drawing so I drew the map both in character and outside the game. The first few rooms we investigated had nothing but corpses, some older and some newer, and we experienced no traps or combat of any kind.

Things grew a bit more exciting as we traveled along and encountered a fork. Down one path of the fork, there was a pit trap which seemed to be disabled by the roguish cleric, but in actuality it was not, and the big dumb fighter fell down it. We decided to go down a different fork then, after rescuing the fighter, but again this was trapped.

This time we disabled the pit, but there were rocks behind the door, which again crushed the fighter. Finally we went down a non-trapped path, and discovered more corpses. All this time I was listening very well, because of my race's bonus to listen, I had +24, resulting in a vast quantity of listening to nothing.

The only path ahead was over the pit, so we all hopped onto a phantom steed, and leaped across the path. Up ahead was the first combat in the game, which my keen senses detected ahead of time, but were not enough to avoid the rolling log trap. We met a cowardly lion goliath who had apparently been left behind by his brothers.

As is standard for a party of adventurers, we did eventually kill this man, though it was really his fault. We threatened him a bit, but didn't intend to actually murder him, but he would not submit to us leading him around. So we had a fairly uneventful combat, but I was almost critted multiple times, and hit despite my enormous AC.

We then traveled down, and encountered a few goliath mercenaries hiding in holes. The fighter smacked one, and the other had a boulder put over his hole, and thus could not get out. Eventually we did let him out, only to immediately knock him out and to interrogate him. We found out where to go and who was here, and charged off ready for a fight. A few corridors later and we had a large boss battle on our hands.

First we had to fight two rogues who sneak attacked us, and avoided our blows fairly deftly. Then we were fighting a big bad who dropped from the ceiling, the leader of the group who could almost not be hit. Luckily the wizard had been saving his big guns for the fight, and we entangled and distracted him so we could buff and heal. We did not actually finish him off, as the true BIG bad smashed him across the room before we could.

This guy looked tough, but our party made quick work of his first form. Unfortunately, he was made of acid, and proceeded to rip apart the fighter, tearing him in twain. With very little health left on his part, I smashed him with a face full of force, and he fell into the enormous lake behind him.

This was followed by me throwing a gem we had gotten at the beginning of the game into the lake, opening a portal to hell. Emerging from the lake was an enormous black dragon, and it was the only real option. Then I had a brilliant plan. As the portal to hell slowly grew, I knew what I needed to do. I spoke to my apprentice, telling him that I had taught him all I could, then me and the healer ran towards the portal.

My final act was to grab the two half of our friend, deploy the swan boat token that I had bought just before the game started, and ride it all the way to hell. What happened next was a tale for the ages, but also for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment